- Responsible for leading, managing and overseeing the entire architectural project(s) on a day-to-day basis from the Schematic Design/Conception phase through to Design Development, Construction Drawings, Bidding/Contract Negotiation, Construction Administration and Closeout phases.
- These functions are performed under the direct supervision of a Senior Project Manager and/or Principal-in-Charge.
- Performs these functions in various capacities across multiple architectural projects at any one time, during any one of the aforementioned project phases.
- 5-year Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture (BArch) or a 4-year Bachelor of Science in Architecture Degree from an Accredited College or University.
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience under the direct supervision of a Registered Architect.
- NYS Architectural Registration/Licensure should a primary goal of the Project Manager.
- Enrollment in NCARB’s Intern Development Program (IDP) and significant progress towards licensure is a requirement.
- Possess a high-level knowledge of CAD-based systems (Autodesk Architecture 2019 preferred), Revit, Microsoft Windows-based systems (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, etc.); 3-D modeling experience preferred, but not required.
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills among the project team, consultants and client representatives.
- Proficient knowledge of federal, state and local building administrative, Life Safety and Energy codes (including national standards such as NFPA) relating to various building projects while understanding how to implement local and NYC zoning regulations as applicable to solve the architectural design concept.
- Ability to travel to and from the firm by automobile to attend project site meetings/surveys.
- Understanding modern architectural / construction means and methods; and the ability to fully detail these systems in coordination with structural, mechanical and civil trades.
- Proficient understanding of Construction Drawing/Detailing of various commercial and institutional building systems of significant size. Healthcare architectural design experience preferred, but not required.
- Ability to solve complex architectural design and construction problems to serve the Client’s program and advise the Senior Management team of any issues that deviate from the program goals and/or that impact the project budget and timeline.
- Proficient understanding of MEP, Structural and Site/Civil Engineering trades, while understanding the impact that these trades have on the architectural design concept. The Project Manager must possess the ability to direct consulting teams in the early stages of design and be involved in the election of structural and MEP systems and assemblies for each Project(s). The Project Manager must properly coordinate these consultant trades throughout the Construction Document phase.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at various stages of development.
- Ability to function comfortably, gain trust, confidence and deal effectively with a wide range of individuals including clients, owner’s representatives, consultants, contractors and JWB project team.
Must proficiently serve in the following capacities throughout each architectural project:
- Will be the Project Lead in in developing design and construction documents for bidding and construction on multiple projects.
- Will lead a team of 2-3 staff members and be responsible for their productivity throughout each Project. The PM will consistently meet with team members to direct workload and review project timelines/milestones.
- Will lead the field measuring survey of existing spaces and structures and direct the junior staff accordingly to produce efficient and accurate surveys.
- Will develop design / space plans based upon the Client’s approved program requirements (assist client with programming).
- Serve as the Construction Administrator during the Construction Phase, as required. Specific responsibilities during this phase include:
- Review and approval of Shop Drawings & Submittals.
- Responding to Contractor’s Request For Information (RFI’s).
- Review of Contractor’s Payment Applications and advise Project Architect in a timely manner that said applications should be certified for payment.
- Review and Approve Change Orders, advising Project Architect that a change in construction cost has occurred.
- Prepare and Issue Construction Field Directives under the supervision of the Project Architect and/or senior management team.
- Perform Punch Lists at Substantial Completion.
- Attendance at on-site construction project meetings will be required and the Project Manager will keep accurate meeting minutes according to the firm’s standard format. The Project Manager will advise the General Contractor and the senior management team of any critical path and long lead items that will affect the project goals.
- Exhibit entrepreneurial qualities that could support business development.
- Organize and direct the architectural and/or engineering team to execute the work in an orderly, timely, and coordinated manner.
- Determine the extent of the construction detailing required for various elements of a project and ensure constructability, code compliance, affordability and aesthetics. Develop these details and support/supervise the team members as they assist in developing needed details by assessing technical adequacy and completeness.
- Perform quality assurance checks on all drawings and documents related to assigned projects.
- Issue progress review sets of drawings to Project Architect/senior management team at various levels of development, according to established project milestone dates.
- Make decisions independently and/or as part of the management team, to adhere to the Design Concept, Project Budget, Project Timelines and Milestones.
- Exhibit excellent administrative and personal time management skills while having the ability to prioritize assigned tasks and delegate efficiently to maintain established project timelines and milestones. Project Manager shall advise Senior Management team of any deviations to project timelines and milestones.
- Exhibit strong multi-tasking abilities which allow performance of the above responsibilities for multiple projects simultaneously.
- Oversees training of junior staff and implementation of JWB office drafting standards, providing mentorship and assistance in solving technical related project complexities.
- Commitment to meeting project deadlines and milestones while understanding his/her role as part of the project team. The Project Manager understands that he/she must move strategically into different roles during the course of the project in order to achieve the overall project goals.
- Apply excellent research skills to insure project code compliance and to fully develop project technical specifications.
- Strong building agency experience; prepare applications, draft responses to agency objections, define alternate approaches to achieve project approvals.
- Must hold a valid NYS driver’s license and be able to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time (a standard work day) and ambulate around a traditional office environment.